Twitter for Mac gives Twitter users another fast and convenient way to stay connected. The app provides a great Twitter experience on Macs with the convenience of the different available keyboard shortcuts listed in the menu options, simple multi-account management ability, and much more.
How do I get started?
First, download Twitter for Mac from the Mac App Store. Then launch the application and enter your Twitter account credentials. Don’t have an account? Click the Sign Up! button.
Once you’re logged in, you will be able to conveniently navigate to your home timeline, profile, mentions, Direct Messages, lists, and search.
How to refresh your timeline, mentions, Direct Messages, lists, and profile
New updates for these features will auto-refresh themselves, but you can also select Refresh from the File drop-down menu.
How to follow people
- Navigate to a person's profile page. You can do this by clicking the profile photo directly from your timeline.
- Click Follow at the top of their profile.
How to post and delete Tweets
To compose a new Tweet:
- Click the Compose Tweet icon (located in the bottom left corner).
- Type the desired text of your Tweet into the Tweet box.
- Click Tweet to post your Tweet.
To delete Tweets:
Click on the Tweet to select it. You can then delete the Tweet in any of the following ways:
- Right-click your mouse and select Delete Tweet.
- Click the Tweet menu at the top of your screen and select Delete Tweet from the drop-down menu.
- Highlight the Tweet and press ⌘ + Delete.
How to change your account’s settings or profile photo
To change your account’s settings or your profile photo:
- Go to your home profile by clicking the home icon.
- Click Edit profile.
- Change the desired settings.
- Click the Save icon.
How to sign out
To sign out completely, you’ll need to remove your account from the application.
- Click on the Twitter menu and select Preferences, or use the keyboard shortcut Command +, and click Accounts.
- Select the account you wish to remove and click the - sign at the bottom of the prompt.
- Confirm removal by clicking Remove.
How to add additional accounts to Twitter for Mac
Click on the Twitter menu and select Preferences. Click Accounts and select + to add as many Twitter accounts as you'd like to manage from the Twitter for Mac application.
How to search for other people
You can search for people in the Search tab. Simply click the magnifying glass icon and type in the person you’re looking for.
How to upload photos or videos
You can upload photos and videos simply by clicking on the camera icon when composing a new Tweet, or drag and drop the photo into the New Tweet window.
How to send and delete Direct Messages
To send a Direct Message:
- Click the envelope icon to go to to your Direct Messages inbox.
- Use shortcut Command + N on your keyboard or click the compose Tweet icon (located in the top right corner).
- Enter the username(s) of the people you’d like to message.
- Type the desired text of your message into the message composer.
- Use the keyboard shortcut Command + Enter to send your Direct Message.
To delete a Direct Message:
- Click on the envelope icon to see a list of all of your Direct Message conversations.
- Right-click on the conversation and select Delete Conversation.
- You can delete individual Direct Messages by right-clicking on the message and selecting Delete.
How to view a person's account details
These are also navigation elements you can click on within someone's profile. To view User Details, click on their profile photo.
- You’ll be taken by default to their timeline to view their Tweets; a clock icon will be highlighted just below their profile photo.
- Clicking the Media tab shows you their photos and videos.
- Clicking Likes tab shows you the Tweets that they liked.
How to view conversations
Click on a Tweet to view not only that Tweet, but the conversation history leading up to that Tweet.
How to view and search for trends
You can view trends by clicking the magnifying glass icon (located on the left side of the app); trends display in a list. You can then search for the most recent Tweets on those emerging topics with a single click, using the search bar at the top of the list.