Twitter Lite is a quick and data-friendly mobile web app for smartphones and tablets that gives people with slower or more expensive data networks easier access to Twitter. Use Twitter Lite by visiting mobile.twitter.com on your smartphone or tablet.
To get started, open your device’s browser and enter mobile.twitter.com in the address bar.
To log in:
- Tap Log in.
- Enter your username, phone number, or email address.
- Enter your password.
- Tap Log in.
To sign up for a new account:
- Tap Sign up.
- Enter your full name and your phone number. If you prefer to use your email address, tap Use email instead.
- Tap Sign up.
- Enter a password and tap Next.
- If you chose to sign up with an email address, we may ask for your phone number. You can enter it or tap Not now.
- Enter a username (we’ll suggest some available options), then tap Next.
- We’ll help you get started by suggesting interest categories and accounts within those categories.
- If you’re on an Android device, you can receive push notifications. Tap Turn on notifications to receive push notifications.
- When you’re ready to go to your timeline, tap Done.
- Tap the compose Tweet icon accessible from your Home timeline, search tab, the Notifications tab, or profiles.
- Start typing where it says What’s happening?
- If you’d like to Tweet an image, tap the photo icon You can add up to four images to your Tweet.
- Tap Tweet to post.
To find an account:
- Tap the search icon
- Type in the name or username of the account you’re looking for.
- A list of suggested accounts and trends will appear once you start typing.
To follow an account:
- Go to the account’s profile and tap Follow.
- If you see a Tweet from an account and decide you’d like to follow them, tap the Tweet to expand it and then tap the follow icon
- Tap the home icon to get to your Home timeline.
- Your Home timeline includes the latest Tweets from accounts you follow. Read more about your Home timeline here.
- When the Home tab has a blue dot next to it, there are new Tweets waiting to hit your timeline. Pull down on your timeline to load these new Tweets.
- From the Home timeline, you can tap on an individual Tweet to see the Tweet details. From here, you can reply to, Retweet, Quote Tweet, or like the Tweet.
- When you want to navigate back to the Home timeline, tap the back icon
The Notifications tab is where you can see how others on Twitter are interacting with you.
- Tap the Notifications icon to get to your Notifications timeline.
- Your Notifications timeline shows you which of your Tweets have been liked, plus the latest Retweets (of your Tweets), Tweets directed to you (replies and mentions), and your new followers.
- Read more about the Notifications timeline here.
To access your profile and settings, tap your profile photo. In the menu, you can:
- Tap Profile to get to your profile.
- To edit your profile, tap Profile and then Edit profile. From here you can edit your profile photo, full name, URL, location, and bio.
- Tap Profile to see your Following and Follower lists, as well as your posted Media and your Likes.
- To edit your settings, tap your profile photo, then Settings and privacy. From here you can edit your:
- Account settings, which include:
- Data and permission, which is where you can review Your Twitter data and Connected applications
- Privacy and safety settings
- Notifications settings
- Content preferences
- General settings, which include include Data usage (see below for more detail)
Twitter Lite is designed to minimize the amount of data used while you use Twitter.
To access your data usage settings, tap your profile photo at the top of the screen, then Settings and privacy, and tap Data usage.
- You can reduce the amount of data used by Twitter by enabling data saver mode. To access, tap your profile photo, then tap the slider next to Data saver to turn on. In this mode, images will be presented as a preview, and large images will only be loaded when you request them. You can view images by tapping “Load image” in Twitter Lite.
- To further reduce data usage, you can disable all images in your timeline by selecting No image previews in timeline. When enabled, preview images are removed from your timeline to save even more data. You’ll still be able to view full images by tapping the link in a Tweet.
Twitter Lite has additional features on Google Chrome for Android. You can add Twitter Lite to your device's home screen so you can launch Twitter Lite quickly on your device, and you can receive push notifications.
To add Twitter Lite to your home screen:
- Open Chrome’s menu.
- Tap Add to Home screen.
- Tap Add to complete the process.
To receive push notifications from Twitter Lite:
- Tap your profile photo at the top of the screen.
- Tap Settings and privacy.
- Tap Notifications.
- Tap Push notifications.
- Tap Turn on to enable push notifications.