The Twitter for iOS app can be used on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch device.
- If you haven't already installed the Twitter for iOS app, you can download it here.
- Once the app is installed, you can log in with an existing account or sign up for a new account directly from the app. (Note: If you need help managing multiple Twitter accounts through your app, read this article.)
- Tap the Sign up button on the welcome screen and fill out the fields asking for your name, phone number or email address, desired username, and password.
- If your desired username is already taken, it will turn red and a message will drop down below the username field telling you to choose a new username.
- Once you've chosen a username that has not been taken, a checkmark will appear next to the username.
- If you provided a phone number while signing up, we will immediately send you an SMS text message with a code so we can verify your number. Enter the verification code in the box provided. Read more about having a phone number associated with your account here.
- From the Me tab, tap the Edit profile icon.
- From here you can change your profile and header image, name, location, website, and bio. For more details about customizing your profile, including instructions for adding your birthday, read this article.
To post a Tweet:
- Tap the Tweet compose icon
- Compose your message and tap Tweet.
To reply to or mention an account:
- Tap the @ symbol to bring up a list of suggested accounts you follow.
- As you start typing a username the list will narrow down to fewer results.
- Once you've found the account you're looking for, tap their username and it will populate in the Tweet. Your character count will adjust, as needed.
Learn more about the difference between replies and mentions here.
To include a hashtag in your Tweet:
- Tap the # symbol and a list of current trends will appear.
- You can choose to include one of these suggested hashtags (tap to select) or add your own hashtag text.
To post a photo or GIF with your Tweet:
- Tap the camera iconto take a photo, or to choose a photo or GIF from your gallery. You can select up to four photos in a Tweet.
- When you are finished selecting your photos, tap Add.
- Once you have taken or selected your photo, you will have the option to apply a filter and crop the image by tapping the pencil icon on the attached photo(s).
You can tag people in your photo(s) by tapping Who’s in this photo? Type in the full name or @ username and then tap Done.
Tip: For more information about Tweeting photos, including instructions for changing your photo tagging privacy settings, click here.
To Tweet with your location:
- Tap the location iconto add your location to your Tweet.
- To learn more about using the location feature on your mobile device, click here.
To include a URL in a Tweet:
- Links are automatically shortened using Twitter's own t.co service (read more about this here).
- Typing or pasting in a URL will automatically deduct 23 characters from your 140 character limit—no matter how long the original link is.
To delete a Tweet:
- Go to your Me tab.
- Locate the Tweet you want to delete.
- Tap the icon located at the top of the Tweet.
- Tap Delete Tweet.
- Tap Delete to confirm.
If you have chosen to keep your Tweets protected, you’ll receive follower requests from other accounts that wish to follow you. You can approve or deny your follower requests from your profile tab. For details, read this article.
- From your profile tab, tap the gear icon
- Select View lists from the menu.
- To create a new list, tap the plus icon
- To manage a list, tap a on the list name, and then tap Edit. From here you can edit list properties, manage list members or delete the list.
For more information about lists, read this article.
- From the Me tab, tap the gear icon
Tap Turn on night mode to turn the feature on.
Note: To turn the feature off, tap the gear icon, then select Turn off night mode.
Check out our troubleshooting article for tips and solutions to common issues.