Below are solutions to common issues that users have when setting up their Twitter SMS account:
I texted START but there is no response from Twitter
Texting START to Twitter should provide instructions on how to add your device to your account. If you don't receive a message from us, there may be a few reasons:
- Make sure that your carrier is supported and that you are texting START to the right number.
- START is an instruction, e.g. a command. Do not text START along with your username, signature or any other characters. For example: START laura or START, luv keerthi or START :) or START ! or Re:| START. These won't be accepted!
- If your phone has already been added to or is associated with another account, you will not receive a message from us and START will simply be posted as a Tweet on your other account. You can check to see if your phone is already associated with a Twitter account here.
Twitter is not accepting my password
If you receive a wrong password message, no matter how many times you enter the password, here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Passwords are case sensitive, this means 'a' and 'A' are different.
- Also be careful, phones normally capitalize the first letter of a word. This may cause your password to be incorrect.
- Make sure your phone does not have a signature or something like Re:| associated with the password.
- You will be given three attempts to enter the correct password. If you are unsuccessful, wait for a few minutes, then send START again and instructions will be sent to you.
- If you have forgotten your password, you can always request a password reset here.
Twitter is not accepting my username
Are you seeing the message "Sorry this username does not exist!"? This might be due to one of the following reasons:
- You are entering a username that does not exist on Twitter. If that is the case, and you have not linked your phone with another Twitter account, text START again.
- You will receive a message similar to this: "Welcome to Twitter! Reply with SIGNUP to begin. Already on Twitter? Reply with your USERNAME instead."
- Now, reply with SIGNUP and read the tips below:
- If you already have a Twitter account that you want to link your phone to, make sure you have spelled the username correctly, otherwise your phone might get tied up with a different Twitter account.
- The system will also not recognize the username if it is associated with a deleted account.
- When you reply with a username, do not use quotes, symbols and/or smileys along with it ('Luke' or @luke or luke :) are incorrect.)
- If you reply to the Twitter message, the username may sometimes reach us like Re:keerthi, please remove the Re: from the message before sending.
- If you are confident that you are sending us only the required details and are still not getting a response from us, text STOP and then START again. This should resolve the issue.
Troubleshooting tips not working?
Check out our troubleshooting articles regarding basic SMS troubleshooting tips for more information.