Account suggestions on Twitter are based on many factors, including your email or phone contacts (if you have chosen to upload them) as well as patterns from your following history. These suggestions are generated by algorithms, which means you may or may not know the accounts or find them relevant.
How does Twitter find accounts to suggest?
Twitter’s account suggestions are based on algorithms that make personalized suggestions for you. You may see suggestions based on criterion such as:
- If you’ve uploaded your contacts to Twitter, we’ll suggest you connect with those who already have Twitter accounts.
- If someone has uploaded their contacts to Twitter, and your email address or phone number is included in their contacts, we may suggest you follow them.
- Twitter may also make suggestions based on your location, e.g. the city or country you are in.
- We may make suggestions based on your activity on Twitter, such as your Tweets, who you follow, accounts you interact with, and Tweets you engage with.
- Twitter may include Promoted Accounts as suggestions for accounts for you to follow. Read more about Promoted Accounts here.
How do I control suggestions about my account?
Email or phone number discoverability
You can control whether we will suggest your account to someone else who has your email address or phone number in their contacts by adjusting your privacy settings. For more information and instructions about adjusting your settings, read this article.
Account suggestions based on imported contacts
When you upload your contacts to Twitter, these contacts may appear as suggested accounts for you to follow. Conversely, your account may appear as a suggestion for others to follow. By removing contacts you have previously uploaded, we will no longer make suggestions based on those contacts, but we may make similar suggestions based on who you already follow, and other factors.
For more information and instructions for removing previously imported contacts, see this article.
Twitter is suggesting an account belonging to someone who is deceased:
Please report the account information to Twitter. This article will walk you through the process.
Check our troubleshooting articles for solutions to common issues related to following.