What is Twitter?
Twitter is the place to find out about what’s happening in the world right now. Whether you’re interested in music, sports, politics, news, celebrities, or everyday moments—come to Twitter to see and join in on what’s happening now.
What do I use Twitter for?
While everyone experiences Twitter differently, here are a few areas that might interest you to help you get started.
- News and politics: Get the latest on local and global news, watch political events as they unfold, and take a part in communities and social movements.
- Sports: From the Olympics to the NFL draft, get real-time updates, see what the star players have to say, and connect with fans around the world.
- Pop culture: See what your favorite celebrities are up to by following them on Twitter and joining in on the conversation.
- Influencers: Find out what thought-leaders and experts in your industry are saying, and connect with creators, artists, and celebrities.
- Utility: Get commuter info and updates, receive disaster updates and support, and reach customer service agents without having to call.
Let’s walk through the basics so you can start Tweeting like a pro.
Tweet: It all begins with a Tweet. Join or start any conversation in the world with a simple Tweet. Find more tips in our Posting a Tweet article.
Retweet: See something you like? Retweet it to spread the word instantly. Find more tips in our Retweeting another Tweet article.
Follow: Like what you see? Make it a full-time thing. Follow accounts to see all their Tweets. Find more tips in our Following people on Twitter article.
Search: Wondering what something is all about? Search and see the conversation unfold live. Find more tips in our Using Twitter search article.
Hashtag: Wondering what everyone’s talking about? Click on a hashtag and find out. Hashtags connect Tweets that talk about the same thing in one place. Find more tips in our Using hashtags on Twitter article.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find interesting people to follow?
Check out the Connect tab, which gives you recommendations based on who you already follow, Tweets you like, popular accounts in your local area, and what’s happening in the world right now.
What are @, #, and mute?
Confused by our lingo? Don’t worry, check out the Twitter glossary and become a pro in just minutes.
How do I use Twitter to grow my business?
Whether you’re looking to get website traffic or drive app downloads, Twitter is here to help. Understand and unlock the power of Twitter for your business.
Ready to see what’s happening on Twitter?
Sign up today at twitter.com.