Find exactly what you're looking for in search
Advanced search allows you to tailor search results to specific date ranges, people and more. This makes it easier to find specific Tweets.
How to use advanced search
- On the results page of your initial search, click on the Advanced Search tab.
- Fill in the appropriate fields to refine your search results.
- Click Search to see your results.
How to refine your search
Using advanced search, you can refine your search results by using any combination of the fields below:
- Tweets containing all words in any position (“Twitter” and “search”)
- Tweets containing exact phrases (“Twitter search”)
- Tweets containing any of the words (“Twitter” or “search”)
- Tweets excluding specific words (“Twitter” but not “search”)
- Tweets with a specific hashtag (#twitter)
- Tweets in a specific language (written in English)
- Tweets from a specific account (Tweeted by “@TwitterComms”)
- Tweets sent as replies to a specific account (in reply to “@TwitterComms”)
- Tweets that mention a specific account (Tweet includes “@TwitterComms”)
- Tweets sent from a geographic location, e.g. a specific city, state, country
- Use the place dropdown to select the geographic location
- Tweets sent before a specific date, after a specific date or within a date range
- Use the calendar dropdown to select a “from” date, “to” date or both
- Search for Tweets from any date since the first public Tweet
By combining fields in advanced search, you can tailor your search results in a powerful way. For example, you can search for Tweets containing “New Years” but excluding “Resolution” between December 30, 2013 and January 2, 2014. Or you can search for Tweets in English with the hashtag “#WorldCup” sent from Brazil in July 2014.
Check out our search troubleshooting section for more information.