Twitter for Mac gives Twitter users another fast and convenient way to stay connected. The app provides a great Twitter experience on Macs with the convenience of the different available keyboard shortcuts listed in the menu options, simple multi-account management ability, and much more.
How do I get started?
First, you will need to download Twitter for Mac from Mac App Store. Then launch the application and enter your Twitter account credentials. Don’t have an account? Click on the Sign Up! button.
How to refresh your timeline, mentions, direct messages, lists, and profile
New updates for these features will auto-refresh themselves, but you can also select Refresh from the File drop-down menu.
How to follow people
- Navigate to a user's profile page; You can do this by clicking a user’s profile photo directly from your timeline, or by clicking the upside down triangle on the bottom left corner of the app and selecting Go to User from the drop-down menu.
- Follow button at the top of the user’s profile.
How to post and delete Tweets
To compose a new Tweet:
- Use shortcut Command + N on your keyboard or click the Compose Tweet icon in the bottom left hand corner of the app.
- Type the desired text of your Tweet into the Tweet box.
- Use the keyboard shortcut Command + Enter to send your Tweet.
To delete Tweets:
Click on the Tweet to select it. You can then delete the Tweet in any of the following ways:
- Right-click your mouse and select Delete Tweet
- Click the Tweet menu at the top of your screen and select Delete Tweet from the drop-down menu
- Highlight the Tweet and press ⌘ + Delete
How to change your account’s settings or profile photo
How to sign out
To sign out completely, you’ll need to remove your account from the application.
- Click on the upside-down triangle in the lower left-hand corner of the app and select Preferences, or use the keyboard shortcut Command + , and click on Accounts.
- Select the account you wish to remove and click the - sign at the bottom of the prompt.
- Confirm removal by clicking Remove.
How to add additional accounts to Twitter for Mac
Go to the Preferences option by selecting the upside down triangle in the lower left-hand corner of the application. Click on Accounts and select the + sign to add as many Twitter accounts as you'd like to manage from the Twitter for Mac application.
How to see your interactions
To see Retweets and favorites from your followers, you'll need to log in to twitter.com on the web.
How to search for other users
Use the Go to User feature available either in the File drop-down menu, or by clicking on the upside down triangle found in the lower left-hand corner of the application, and then enter the name of the user you wish to find.
How to upload photos or videos
You can upload photos and videos simply by clicking on the camera icon when composing a new Tweet, or drag and drop the photo into the New Tweet window.
How to send and delete direct messages
To send a direct message:
- Click the envelope icon to go to to your direct messages inbox.
- Use shortcut Command + N on your keyboard or click the compose Tweet icon in the bottom left-hand corner of the app.
- You’ll see a prompt asking if you’d like to create a Direct Message or Public Tweet; select the option to send a direct message.
- Enter the username of the person you’d like to message.
- Type the desired text of your message into the message composer.
- Use the keyboard shortcut Command + Enter to send your direct message.
To delete a direct message:
- Click on the envelope icon to see a list of all of your direct message conversations.
- Right-click on the conversation and select Delete Conversation.
How to view a user’s details
These are also navigation elements you can click on within a user’s profile. To view User Details, click on the user’s profile photo.
- You’ll be taken by default to their timeline to view their Tweets; a clock icon will be highlighted just below their profile photo.
- Clicking the @ symbol to the right shows you their mentions/@replies.
- Clicking the star icon to the right of the @ symbol shows you the Tweets that user has marked as favorites.
- Clicking the person icon takes you to their profile information.
How to view conversations
Double-click on a Tweet to view not only that Tweet, but the conversation history leading up to that Tweet.
How to view and search for Trends
You can view Trends by clicking the magnifying glass icon in the left-hand side of the app; Trends will display in a list. You can then search for the most recent Tweets on those emerging topics with a single click, using the search bar at the top of the list.