The blue verified badge on Twitter lets people know that an account of public interest is authentic. When an account is verified, additional settings become available:
- Additional filters in the Notifications tab that include three options for viewing notifications: All (default), Mentions, and Verified
- A setting that opts the account out of group Direct Messages (via the Security and Privacy settings page on twitter.com)
Recommended security precautions
Verified accounts may become targets for hacking or phishing campaigns. The following precautions are recommended for all users, but in particular users with verified accounts:
- Turn on login verification so a second security check is required in order to log in. You can find instructions here.
- Be cautious of allowing third-party apps access to your account. Review your connections frequently, and revoke access to any unfamiliar apps. Read more here.
- Make sure the email address associated with your account is secure. This article includes an overview of account security tips.
Verified Vine and Periscope accounts
If a Vine or Periscope account is linked to a verified Twitter account, the Vine or Periscope account will automatically be verified.
To link a verified Twitter account to a Vine account:
- Sign in to the Vine mobile app.
- Navigate to Profile and select Settings.
- Disconnect the current Twitter connection (if there is one) and then reconnect to the verified account.
To link a verified Twitter account to a Periscope account:
- Open the Periscope mobile app.
- Navigate to your Profile.
- Tap Logout.
- Then tap Log In with Twitter and select the verified account.
Loss of verified status
In accordance with the Twitter Terms of Service, Twitter may remove the verified badge and verified status of a Twitter account at any time. A verified account may lose its verified status for reasons that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Profile information (such as the username) is changed, or the account’s original purpose has changed.
- Tweet privacy settings change and Tweets become protected.
Previously verified accounts may not be eligible to have badges restored.