When you’re excited about something you’ve Tweeted and want to share it with more people, you can promote it to increase its reach and help it find a bigger audience. Promoting a Tweet is easy, and we provide tools to help you track progress and view results along the way.
Reaching more people than ever
To get started, find the Tweet you would like to promote (you can only promote a Tweet that you’ve already posted):
- Go to your profile.
- Via web: Click your profile icon.
- On Twitter for iOS: Tap the Me tab.
- On Twitter for Android: In the top menu, you will either see a navigation menu icon or your profile icon. Tap whichever icon you have, then tap Profile.
- Find the Tweet you’d like to promote.
- Click or tap the Tweet activity icon
- To Reach a bigger audience, click or tap Get started.
- The first time you promote a Tweet, provide the following information:
- Select your Country and time zone, provide your Contact information, and agree to the Twitter Advertising Terms. Then tap Next.
- Enter your Credit/debit card information and your Billing address. Then tap Next.
- Note: This information will be securely stored for future promoted Tweets. Read about managing your credit card information here.
- Under Targeting, select the Location you would like to target with your Tweet. You can select Worldwide or target areas closer to your location.
- Under Budget, select the amount you would like to spend. You can spend between $10 and $2,500 (or local equivalent), and we’ll show you the estimated number of engagements for each amount.
- Click or tap Confirm spend to kick off your promotion.
Tracking progress and viewing results
You can track your results in real time and view final results once the promotion is complete:
- Find the Tweet you promoted and click or tap it to open the Tweet detail.
- Click or tap the Tweet activity icon
- You’ll be able to view results organized by organic and promoted engagements:
- Link clicks (if your Tweet included a link);
- Impressions (the number of people who saw your Tweet); and
- Total engagements (the number of interactions with your Tweet).
For more detailed analytics and advanced controls for your promoted Tweet, you can log in to ads.twitter.com using your Twitter username and password. Each time you promote a Tweet, it is logged as its own campaign in the Campaign tab.
Once you’ve entered your credit card information, it is stored for future Tweet promotions.
You can modify existing credit/debit card information, or add additional cards, by visiting ads.twitter.com:
- Log in to ads.twitter.com using your Twitter username and password.
- Click your account name (in the top header bar) and select Payment methods from the menu.
- From here you can identify a default card for use (if you have multiple cards associated with your Tweet promotions); delete a card; and add new payment methods.
Note: Credit or debit cards stored for use with Tweet promotions or ad campaigns are stored on ads.twitter.com, separately from payment methods you may have saved in your account payment settings in order to purchase products using Twitter.
Frequently asked questions
How long will my promotion last?
Typically a Tweet promotion lasts a matter of hours, but overall duration varies based on variables like the budget, your followers, follower count, etc. You’ll receive a notification once the promotion cycle is complete.
Who will see my promoted Tweet?
We send your Tweet to the people who are most likely to appreciate your content. We model based on your current followers, given that your followers are the people who have opted in to see your Tweets.
What credit cards do you accept?
We currently accept Visa, MasterCard, and American Express credit and debit cards. Payments are accepted in the official currencies of countries listed in this article.
What are the supported languages for promoted Tweets?
Promoted Tweets must use a supported Twitter language. Some of these languages include: Bahasa, English, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish or Danish. For a full list of supported languages, review the Supported Languages section in this article.
Where are the Promoted Tweets displayed?
Tweets you promote may be displayed in any properties owned and operated by Twitter, e.g. Home timelines, profiles, etc.