You can view available translations of this article by selecting a language in the upper-right corner of this page. Translations are provided as a convenience, and are not meant to change the content of our policies. The English version will control and should be your reference in case of conflict between a translation and the English version.
What's the policy?
Twitter restricts the promotion of health and pharmaceutical products and services. These restrictions are based on the specific product or service being promoted, as well as the country that the campaign is targeting. To determine the policy for your product or service and the country or countries you wish to target, see the country-specific information below. Unless listed below, the promotion of health and pharmaceutical products and services is prohibited.
Note: In certain cases listed below, advertisers are only permitted if they have prior authorization from Twitter. Authorization starts with being in touch with a Twitter account team. Instructions for contacting Twitter are included in each case.
What products or services are subject to this policy?
This policy applies, but is not limited, to:
- Online pharmacies
- Brick and mortar pharmacies promoting prescriptions/refills
- Compounding (custom prescription) pharmacies
- Pet pharmacies
Pharmaceutical and medical products
- Controlled, prescription, and non-prescription pharmaceuticals
- Pharmaceutical manufacturers
- Informational sites or blogs focusing on prescription drugs
- Regulated medical devices
- Prescription medication discount cards
- Clinical trials
- Health claims about the cure, treatment, diagnosis or prevention of certain diseases and conditions
- Dietary supplements that contain anabolic steroids
- Dietary supplements that are marketed using references to steroids, for example, that the name, ingredients, or effects of the supplement are similar to steroid-like substances
- Nutrition products, including weight loss products, marketed with unreasonable or unsubstantiated claims
Medical and cosmetic services
- Abortion clinics
- STD clinics
- Botox treatment
- Penis enlargement and breast enhancement products and services
What products and services are not subject to this policy?
This policy generally does not prohibit:
- Prescription glasses and sunglasses
- Hospitals, medical and dental practices
How does this policy vary from country to country?
To determine the policy for your product or service and the country or countries you wish to target, see the country-specific information below. Unless listed below, the promotion of health and pharmaceutical products and services is prohibited.
OTC medication advertisements
Advertisements for licensed over-the-counter (“OTC”) medications are permitted only when targeting the countries below:
|Africa and Middle East||Asia Pacific||Europe||Latin America||North America|
|UK and jurisdictions|
The following additional requirements apply to health and pharmaceutical products and services advertisements targeting certain countries:
- Advertisements from pharmaceutical manufacturers are permitted with restrictions. These advertisers may only target Canada, and are only allowed with prior authorization from Twitter.
- Contact Twitter if you are interested in this option.
- Promoting infant food, milk substitutes and feeding bottles is prohibited.
- Health care products and cosmetic products are allowed with restrictions.
- The online sale of OTC drugs is prohibited.
- Healthcare products and supplements are permitted subject to restrictions. Pharmaceutical manufacturers may promote informational sites and public service announcements subject to restrictions.
- Promoting the sale of contact lenses is permitted.
- OTC drugs and non-prescription drugs are permitted but must be approved by the Medicine Advertisements Board.
- Advertisements by healthcare practitioners are restricted to the name, field of practice, and place of practice of the practitioner. Testimonials are prohibited.
- Advertisements by private health care facilities are restricted to general information such as name, location, contact information, hours, type of facility and prices imposed. Testimonials are prohibited.
- Slimming products, whether used orally or through physical application are prohibited
- Ads for products that contain therapeutic claims are permitted subject to restrictions.
- Cosmetic products are allowed with restrictions.
- Only licensed hospitals, medical clinics, clinical laboratories and healthcare institutions that are listed in the HCI Directory may advertise medical services.
- Promoting medical and dental services is prohibited.
- Promoting sanitary aids and cosmetics is permitted with restrictions.
Promoting products that treat the following diseases or ailments is prohibited:
- Serious sexually transmitted or infectious diseases
- Cancer and other tumour-related diseases
- Chronic insomnia
- Diabetes and other metabolic diseases
- Advertisements for brick and mortar pharmacies are permitted provided that they do not promote the online sale or refill of prescription drugs. These advertisers may only target the United States, and are only allowed with prior authorization from Twitter.
- Advertisements for online pharmacies accredited by the National Association Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) are permitted with restrictions. These advertisers may only target the United States, and are only allowed with prior authorization from Twitter.
- Advertisements from pharmaceutical manufacturers are permitted with restrictions. These advertisers may only target the United States, and are only allowed with prior authorization from Twitter.
- Contact Twitter if you are interested in any of these options.
What do advertisers need to know about this policy?
Review our guidelines and make sure you understand the requirements for your brand and business. You are responsible for all your promoted content on Twitter. This includes complying with applicable laws and regulations regarding advertisements.
What other Twitter resources relate to this policy?
If you have a question about this content and are an advertiser, please contact our support agents directly by signing in to ads.twitter.com and clicking the “Help” text in the top navigation bar.
Please contact us through this channel so that we can easily match your report to the ads account in question.
If you are an advertiser whose account or tweets are currently under review and you would like to check on the status or request an expedited review, please contact our Support Team via the "Help" button in your Twitter Ads page and a specialist will take a look.
If you are not an advertiser and need to bring to our attention ads that are potentially violating these policies, you can use our Help Center forms to Report an Ad.
If you are interested in advertising on Twitter and want to learn more, please visit business.twitter.com.