The Twitter for iOS app can be used on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch device.
To sign up for an account:
- If you haven't already installed the Twitter for iOS app, you can download it here.
- Once the app is installed, you can log in with an existing account or sign up for a new account directly from the app.
- Tap the Sign up button on the welcome screen and fill out the fields asking for your name, phone number or email address, desired username, and password.
- If your desired username is already taken, it will turn red and a message will drop down below the username field telling you to choose a new username.
- Once you've chosen a username that has not been taken, a checkmark will appear next to the username.
- If you provided a phone number while signing up, we will immediately send you an SMS text message with a code so we can verify your number. Enter the verification code in the box provided. Read more about having a phone number associated with your account here.
Editing your profile
- From your profile tab, tap the Edit profile button.
- From here you can change your profile and header image, name, location, website, or bio. For more details about customizing your profile, including instructions for adding your birthday, read this article.
How to post and delete a Tweet
To post a Tweet:
- Tap the compose Tweet icon in the top menu on the right.
- Compose your 140-character message and tap Tweet.
- The Tweet will be successfully posted to your profile.
To reply to or mention a user:
- Tap the @ symbol to bring up a list of suggested accounts you follow.
- As you start typing a username the list will narrow down to fewer results.
- Once you've found the user you're looking for, tap their username and it will be populated in the Tweet and your character count will be adjusted as needed.
Learn more about the difference replies and mentions here.
To include a hashtag in your Tweet:
- Tap the # symbol and a list of current trends will appear.
- You can choose to include one of these suggested hashtags (tap to select) or add your own hashtag text.
To post a photo with your Tweet:
You can take a photo in the moment or choose an existing image from your phone's gallery.
- To take a photo, tap the camera icon when you are composing a Tweet. To choose an existing image from your phone's gallery, tap the landscape icon.
- Once you have taken or selected your photo, you will have the option to apply a filter and crop the image.
- When you are finished, select Done; the photo will be attached to the Tweet. You can select up to four photos for a single Tweet.
- You can tag people in your photo(s) by tapping Who’s in this photo? Type in the full name or @ username and then tap Done.
- Tip: For more information about tweeting photos, including instructions for changing your photo tagging privacy settings, click here.
To Tweet with your location:
- Tap the location icon to add your location to your Tweet.
- To learn more about using the location feature on your mobile device, click here.
To include a URL in a Tweet:
- Links are automatically shortened using Twitter's own t.co service (read more about this here).
- Simply copy/paste a URL link from your mobile browser or start typing a link with http:// and the character counter will automatically deduct 20 characters no matter how long the original link is.
To delete a Tweet:
- Tap the Tweet you'd like to delete. Note: you can only delete your own Tweets.
- Tap the More icon (•••) at the bottom of the Tweet.
- From the menu that pops up, tap Delete Tweet.
- The Tweet will be successfully removed from your profile.
How to approve or deny your follower requests
If you have chosen to keep your Tweets protected, you’ll receive follower requests from other accounts that wish to follow you. You can approve or deny your follower requests from your profile tab. For details, read this article.
How to create and manage Lists
- From your profile tab, tap the gear icon.
- Select Lists from the menu.
- To create a new list, tap the Add icon (looks like a plus sign).
- To manage your lists, tap a list that you want to manage and then tap the Edit button. From here you can edit list properties, manage list members or delete the list.
For more information about lists, read this article.
Check out our troubleshooting article for tips and solutions to common issues.