Twitter's mobile website, mobile.twitter.com, allows you to have a consistent, high-quality experience using Twitter on any device.
How to post a Tweet
How to follow a user
Home: Home timeline and navigation
@Connect: Mentions, Interactions and more!
Me: Your profile, direct messages, lists, favourites, settings and more!
- To access Twitter's mobile website, all you have to do is point your smartphone or tablet's browser to mobile.twitter.com.
- On the welcome screen, you'll see the option to Sign up for a new account or Sign in with an existing account.
To sign up for a new account:
- Tap the blue Sign up button at the bottom of the welcome screen.
- On the next screen, you'll be asked to enter the details of your account. Type in your name, desired username, email address and a strong password.
- When you've finished, tap the Create my accountbutton at the bottom of the page.
- When your account is successfully created, Twitter will send a confirmation message to your email inbox. Your account is not fully active until you have confirmed the email address that you entered when signing up.
- Go to your email inbox and find the confirmation message from us. Open that message and click the link within it to confirm your email address.
- Tap on the compose Tweet icon (looks like a feather quill) on the top right of the screen. This will bring up the Tweet composer (pictured below).
- Enter your 140-character message and then tap Tweet. The message will be posted to your Twitter profile and in the home timeline of your followers.
- You have the option to add your location to your Tweet by tapping the blue geo-location button at the bottom of the Tweet composer box.
- You also have the option to tweet a photo. Just tap on the camera located on the bottom left of the New Tweet box. You will have the option to either take a photo or choose and upload an existing photo.
To save a Tweet as a draft:
If you write a Tweet but do not want to share it yet, simply press the back button to exit the Tweet composer. A pop up will give you the option to save your Tweet as a draft.
When you are ready to send your Tweet tap on the Me tab, select Drafts and then select the drafted Tweet that you want to post.
There are a few different ways you can follow other users on mobile.twitter.com:
- From a user's Tweet
- From the user's profile page
In both cases, all you have to do is tap the follow button once to follow the user. To unfollow, simply tap the button again.
At the top of your homepage, you will see icons for Home, @Connect and Me if you are using a smartphone. If you are using a tablet the icons will be located in a column on the left side of the screen (see tablet images here).
- Home is where you see Tweets from the accounts that you follow and can navigate back to your home timeline.
- @Connect is where you can find your public mentions and Tweet Interactions.
Me is where you can view your profile, access your direct messages, lists, favourites and more!
- Scroll down through your home timeline to see the latest updates from users that you follow.
- When the Home tab has a blue glow underneath it, it means that there are new Tweets waiting to hit your timeline. Pull down on your timeline to load these new Tweets.
- From the home timeline on a smartphone, you can tap on an individual Tweet to see the Tweet's details page. On a tablet, you can tap on an individual Tweet to expand (image here). From here, you can reply to, retweet, quote or mark the Tweet as a favourite (see image below).
- Anytime you want to navigate back to the home timeline just tap on the home icon in the top navigation.
The Connect tab is where you can find other users' mentions and @replies to you and where you can see who's interacting with your account and your Tweets.
- At the top of the screen you will see two menu options – Interactions and Mentions.
- The Interactions tab displays a timeline of the activity around your account. Here, you can see who has recently followed you, mentioned you, retweeted you or marked your Tweets as favourites.
- The Mentions tab will strip out all other activity notifications and only display your mentions and @replies. To learn more about the differences between @replies and mentions click here.
- Looking for someone? Use the search bar at the top of the page to find other users.
The Me tab is where you can access your profile, direct messages, lists, favourites, saved searches, account settings and your photo stream. To see what your Me tab looks like on a tablet please see here.
- Tap the gear icon to edit your profile, access account settings (which includes changing your password and privacy settings), find help and sign out. All other account settings can be accessed by signing in to twitter.com on a computer and going to Settings.
- To access your direct messages (DMs) inbox tap on the envelope icon located under your follower count. Tap on a message to open the conversation thread. To compose a new DM, tap the compose message icon (looks like a pen and a pad) on the top right of the screen.
- To access saved, unsent Tweets, tap Drafts.
- To view your lists, tap Lists and then select the list you wish to view. On the next page, you will see the option to choose between viewing the current Members of the list or viewing the list's Tweets. (Note: you cannot create or edit lists from mobile.twitter.com, only through twitter.com on a computer.)
- To access your favourites, tap Favourites.
- Saved searches help you find Tweets about a certain topic quickly on Twitter. Tap Saved searches to see your stored searches from the web. (Note: you cannot save searches on mobile.twitter.com, only through twitter.com on a computer.)
- Your photo stream is also accessible in your Me tab. Your photo stream displays photos that you have Tweeted in one fluid stream. Tap on a photo to enlarge and view more information.
The mobile.twitter.com experience on both a smartphone and a tablet is very similar but there are a few differences.
- You will notice your Me tab on a tablet is slightly different than on a smartphone.
- For instance your bio is displayed under your avatar and the settings button (gear icon) is in a slightly different location.
- You will also notice that you are able to search directly from your Me tab.
Home timeline on a tablet
- When viewing your home timeline on a tablet you are able to expand a Tweet directly on your timeline.
- Once you have expanded a particular Tweet, you can @reply, retweet, quote or mark the Tweet as a favourite.
Check out our mobile.twitter.com troubleshooting tips article for solutions to common problems.