To create an account on the web:
- Go to http://twitter.com and find the sign up box, or go directly to https://twitter.com/signup.
- Enter your full name, phone number, and a password.
- Click Sign up for Twitter.
- In order to verify your phone number, we will send you an SMS text message with a code. Enter the verification code in the box provided. Learn more about having a phone number associated with your account here.
- Once you've clicked Sign up for Twitter, you can select a username (usernames are unique identifiers on Twitter) — type your own or choose one we've suggested. We'll tell you if the username you want is available.
- Double-check your name, phone number, password, and username.
- Click Create my account.You may be asked to complete a Captcha to let us know that you're human.
Tips for picking a username:
- Your username is the name your followers use when sending @replies, mentions, and direct messages.
- It will also form the URL of your Twitter profile page. We'll provide a few available suggestions when you sign up, but feel free to choose your own.
- Please note: You can change your username in your account settings at any time, as long as the new username is not already in use.
- Usernames must be fewer than 15 characters in length and cannot contain "admin" or "Twitter", in order to avoid brand confusion.
Important information about signing up with email address:
- An email address can only be associated with one Twitter account at a time.
- The email address you use on your Twitter account is not publicly visible to others on Twitter.
- We use the email you enter to confirm your new Twitter account. Be sure to enter an email address that you actively use and have access to. Check your inbox for a confirmation email to make sure you signed up for your account correctly.
First steps after you've created your account:
- After signing up, follow a handful of accounts to create a customized stream of information on your home timeline. Following means you'll get that user's Tweets on your Twitter home timeline. You can unfollow anyone at any time. Find out how to follow news sources, friends, and more in our Finding people on Twitter article.
- Read our Getting started with Twitter article.
- Learn about using Twitter on your mobile phone.
Check out our troubleshooting articles for solutions to common problems.