How to get the app
What's the latest version of the app?
How to sign up for a new account
How to add an existing account
How to post and delete a Tweet
Home: Home timeline and navigation
@Connect: Mentions, Interactions, and more!
#Discover: Tweets, trends, who to follow, find friends, and browse your interests
Me: Your profile, direct messages, lists, favorites, and more!
Settings and editing your profile
- From Google Play (just search for Twitter)
- At https://about.twitter.com/products/android
- Scan the handy QR code below:
- Our Android releases page has all the information on what’s new and what's been fixed in this version.
- Open the app and tap the Sign up button.
- On the next page, fill in your account information (name, username, email address, and password).
- After entering your name, you can choose from one of the suggested usernames, or type in an available username of your choosing.
- Tap the Sign in button on the home screen.
- Enter your username or and password.
- If you have multiple Twitter accounts, once you are logged in to the app, you can add another account by going to the Me tab and tap on the person icon under your Tweet count or via Settings.
To post a Tweet:
- Tap the compose Tweet icon (looks like a feather quill).
- Enter your 140-character message.
- When you're ready to post your message, tap Tweet.
- A notification will appear in the status bar on your device and will go away once the Tweet successfully sends.
To save a Tweet as a draft:
- If you would like to save your Tweet as a draft, press the back button while you are in the compose window.
- You will see the option to save as a draft. You can later access your saved drafts under the Me tab (more details in the next section).
To post a photo with your Tweet:
- Tap the camera icon to take photo with your mobile device's camera.
- You can also tap the photos icon (next to the camera icon) to select an existing photo from your device's gallery.
- Once you have taken or selected your photo, you will have the option to apply a filter and crop the image.
- When you are finished, select Done; the photo will be attached to the Tweet as a pic.twitter.com link.
To @reply or mention a user:
- Tap the @ symbol and start typing. A drop down list of accounts you follow will appear.
- As you type, the list will narrow down possible matches.
- When the username you are looking for appears, tap it and it will be populated in the Tweet composer.
To tweet with your location:
- Tap the location icon, to turn on your location and add it to your Tweet.
- To learn more about using the location feature on your mobile device, click here.
To include a URL in a tweet:
- Links are automatically shortened using Twitter's own t.co service (read more about this here).
- Just start typing a link with http:// and the character counter will automatically deduct 20 characters no matter how long the original link is.
To delete a Tweet:
- Tap the Tweet you'd like to delete and tap on the trash can icon at the bottom of the Tweet.
- A message will pop-up with the option to cancel. Tap Delete Tweet.
- The Tweet will be successfully removed from your profile.
- Home is where you see Tweets from the accounts you follow.
- @Connect is where you can find your public mentions and Tweet Interactions.
- #Discover is where you can see the latest news stories and trends worldwide.
- Me is where you can view and edit your profile, access your direct messages, lists, and more!
- A blue glow underneath the home icon means there are new Tweets waiting to hit your timeline.
- You can tap or swipe on each Tweet
- You can tap or press and hold a Tweet to retweet, favorite, go to that user's profile, or share the Tweet to another service.
- Anytime you want to navigate back to the home timeline just tap on the home icon in the top navigation.
- On the Connect tab, you can see who has recently followed you, mentioned you, retweeted you, or marked your Tweets as favorites. In addition, you will also find a list of your mentions and @replies. To learn more about the differences between @replies and mentions click here.
- Check out what are the top Tweets tailored for your interest!
- Tap View all Tweets to see a complete list of all the top Tweets!
- Activity provides a rich source of discovery by highlighting the latest favorites, retweets, and follows from the people you follow on Twitter — all in one place.
- Tap View all activity to see all the latest follows, retweets, and favorites by the people you follow.
- Below the Tweets tab you will see a list of the current top Trends worldwide, as well as personalized Trends based on the Tweets from accounts you follow.
- Tap on a Trend to view real-time Tweets about this topic.
- Tap View all trends to see a complete list of the top Trends.
- You can change your Trends location on the web. Refresh the Twitter for Android app and your Trends location will reflect this change.
Who to follow
- Below Trends you will see a section called Who to follow, displaying Twitter's top suggestions.
- To follow an account, tap the follow button next to the username.
- To see a complete list of suggestions, tap View all suggestions.
Find friends (importing contacts)
- Tap Find friends to import your contacts' email address and phone number to Twitter and bring up a list of accounts for you to follow based on your phone's contact list. We may also suggest to your contacts to follow you.
- People can only be found by their email address if they have selected "Let others find me by my email address" in settings. Similarly, people can choose to "Let others find me by my phone number" under mobile settings.
- You can remove your contacts from Twitter at any time. Simply visit this page on twitter.com and click the remove link.
- You can also remove contacts from mobile.twitter.com if you're on a mobile device.
- After 18 months, we remove your contacts for you.
- Tapping Browse categories will take you to a page where you can view a list of suggested users in different categories such as music, sports, entertainment, fashion, and more!
- You can use the search bar at the top of any tab to search for other topics, hashtags, or accounts.
- Just start typing and you will see a list of suggested accounts that you already follow for quick searching.
- You can save a search by pressing the menu button while viewing the search results and tapping Save Search. More about saved searches below.
Direct messages (DMs)
- When you click on the Me tab, you will see an envelope icon representing DMs. The blue dot next to the icon means that you have a new direct message waiting for you.
- Tap on the direct messages envelope icon to access your sent and received DMs.
- To respond to a DM, tap the username of the sender to open the conversation thread and type your message in the text box at the bottom of the page.
- To compose a new DM, tap the compose message icon (looks like a pen and a pad of paper) in the upper right corner of the screen.
- To delete a DM conversation, tap the arrow icon at the top right of the page and then select Delete conversation.
- To learn more about DMs, check out this article.
- If you have multiple accounts added to the app, you can switch by pressing the Switch Account button. You can also do this by pressing the menu button on your device from the home timeline and tapping Accounts.
- If you have more than two accounts added to your phone, you will now notice a person icon under your Tweet count on the Me tab.
- Tap on the Me button and you will find Settings as a gear icon under your Tweet count.
- From here, you can add and manage your accounts, edit your profile, turn on/off sound effects, change your profile picture and/or header, and edit the font size.
- To make changes around sync and notifications for a specific account, tap on the account name at the top. This will open a separate settings window with Sync and Notification options (more about notification settings and troubleshooting tips here).
- If your Tweets are protected, you will see the option to access your Follower requests. Selecting this option will take you to a page where you can accept or reject your pending requests.
- Tap Favorites to see a list of Tweets you recently marked as a favorite.
- Tap Lists to see lists that you've created; tap a specific list to view the list's timeline of Tweets or members.
- To create a new list, simply tap Create new list at the bottom of the screen.
- When creating a new list, you have the option to add a list name, description, and set the privacy setting to either public or private.
- To add a member to a list, navigate to that user's profile and tap the person icon; select Add to list.
- If you have any specific saved searches on twitter.com, you can access them by tapping Saved searches in the Me tab.
- Tap the individual saved search and you’ll be taken to a page where the current search results for that term are displayed.
- To remove a saved search, open the search from the Me tab, press the menu button on your device and select Unsave.
Check out our Twitter for Android troubleshooting tips article for solutions to common issues.