How to sign up for a new account:
- Open the app and tap the Sign up button.
- On the next page, fill in your account information (name, username, email address, and password).
- After entering your name, you can choose from one of the suggested usernames, or type in an available username of your choosing.
Updating your profile and account settings
- In the top menu, tap on the overflow icon (on the far right) and select your Profile. Then select Edit profile under your Tweet count.
- To add an account or adjust your settings, tap on the overflow icon in the top menu. From here, you can add and manage your accounts, edit your profile, turn on/off sound effects, change your profile picture and/or header, and edit the font size.
How to post and delete a Tweet:
To post a Tweet:
- Tap on What’s happening? from the menu bar at the bottom.
- Enter your 140-character message.
- When you're ready to post your message, tap Tweet.
- A notification will appear in the status bar on your device and will go away once the Tweet successfully sends.
To save a Tweet as a draft:
- If you would like to save your Tweet as a draft, press the back button while you are in the compose window.
- You will see the option to save as a draft. You can later access your saved drafts under your account profile.
To post a photo with your Tweet:
- Tap the camera icon to take photo with your mobile device's camera.
- You can also tap the photos icon (next to the camera icon) to select an existing photo from your device's gallery.
- Once you have taken or selected your photo, you will have the option to apply a filter and crop the image.
- When you are finished, select Done; the photo will be attached to the Tweet as a pic.twitter.com link.
To @reply or mention a user:
- From your keyboard, tap the @ symbol and start typing. A drop down list of accounts you follow will appear.
- As you type, the list will narrow down possible matches.
- When the username you are looking for appears, tap it and it will be populated in the Tweet composer.
To tweet with your location:
- Tap the location icon to turn on your location and add it to your Tweet.
- To learn more about using the location feature on your mobile device, click here.
To include a URL in a tweet:
- Links are automatically shortened using Twitter's own t.co service (read more about this here).
- Just start typing a link with http:// and the character counter will automatically deduct 20 characters no matter how long the original link is.
To delete a Tweet:
- Tap the Tweet you'd like to delete and tap on the trash can icon at the bottom of the Tweet.
- A message will pop-up with the option to cancel. Tap Delete Tweet.
- The Tweet will be successfully removed from your profile.
Finding accounts to follow
Twitter can help you find accounts to follow by securely importing your contacts.
- In the top menu, tap the person icon (with the plus sign next to it).
- Tap the Import contacts button.
- Tap OK when the Find your friends prompt appears. This will import your contacts' email addresses and phone numbers to Twitter and bring up a list of accounts for you to follow based on your device's contact list. We may also suggest to your contacts that they follow you.
People can only be found by their email address if they have agreed to "Allow users to find me by email" in their settings. Similarly, people can choose to "Let others find me by my phone number" under mobile settings.
Check out our Twitter for Android troubleshooting tips article for solutions to common issues.